October 2023: Safety Month
Each October our campus celebrates safety month to promote safe transportation habits on and around campus. Visit our safety month page to see upcoming events, giveaways, and learn more about what you can do to create a safer transportation environment at UMD.
SAFETY STARTS WITH YOU
You are an important part of building a safe micromobility culture on campus. Together we can create a healthy environment for pedestrians, cyclists, scooter operators, and motorists alike.
While micromobility vehicles have been on campus for years, their numbers have increased significantly – and now many are motorized. We have experienced a dramatic rise in unsafe riding practices and reports of accidents and near-misses involving micromobility vehicles.
Do your part, Terps! Safety starts with YOU.
SAFE DRIVING STARTS WITH YOU
- Share the road.
- Slow down! Obey the speed limit and road signs.
- Look out! Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks.
- Look for micromobility operators before opening your door.
- Be patient: No tailing, honking, shouting, or trying to squeeze by.
- Allow at least 3 feet when passing bikes or e-scooters.
- Do not drive distracted or impaired.
SAFE WALKING STARTS WITH YOU
Look up and stay alert.
- Walk on sidewalks.
- Cross at street corners, use crosswalks, and wait for the walk signal.
- Be aware of your surroundings. If you’re wearing headphones keep the volume low.
- Be visible. Wear something light or reflective after dark.