Join our Shuttle-UM Maintenance Team
The mission of Shuttle-UM student-operated Transit System is to provide safe and dependable transportation to university students, faculty, and staff, and to function as a learning environment for students.
Parts Assistants will assist with parts coordination and handling. The Support Staff position of Service Parts Assistant is an essential component of the Shuttle-UM Maintenance Department. Parts employees are hired as the backbone of the Maintenance Fleet, working closely with other Maintenance Assistants, Parts Coordinators and Shop Supervisors to ensure efficiency
Include but not limited to:
- Perform inventory counts; responsible for reporting shortages, overages, and pricing discrepancies to the Parts Coordinators
- Take tires to be recycled; perform minor repairs at fuel pump / DEF tote
- Issue parts to work orders in Assetworks
- Pick up and drop off parts from local vendors when requested by Parts Coordinators or Shop Supervisors
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite; communication and interpersonal skills; detail oriented and organized
- Basic knowledge of tools and bus/car/truck parts (preferred but not required)
- Maintain a minimum of 12-hours per week
- Available working hours between Monday-Friday, 24hrs, 4 hour time blocks
- Parts Room, Maintenance Bay, Parking Garage Storage Cages, Parts Storage Containers and Shuttle-UM parking lot
- Exposure to noise, chemicals, and maintenance bay environment
- Upon being hired, the Parts Assistant is expected to begin work as soon as possible for the necessary training; they are encouraged to work the maximum amount of hours allotted in a week to hasten and complete necessary training.
- The first three months (90 days) of this hire will be considered a probationary period after which a final decision will be made by the Fleet Manager about the person’s future within the unit.
- A minimum of 12 working hours per week.
- Expected to report to work on time (must be in uniform and in the Parts Room ready to receive requests).
Compensation & Benefits
- Compensation is around $13.25 per hour
- Maintenance Assistants are also eligible to receive an additional $0.10 for every Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) test passed