The Sustainable Transportation Team at DOTS works to provide alternative commute, aka ‘Smart Commute’ options to the university community with the goal of influencing commute behaviors and reducing the number of vehicles that drive and park on campus. UMD Smart Commute programs include: carpool, transit, bike, walk, telework, carshare and a variety of incentive programs. As a steward of BikeUMD, the team also works to promote and elevate the bicycle culture, program, and facilities of our Bicycle Friendly University.
The student assistant will support operations, planning, and evaluation of Smart Commute, BikeUMD, and other DOTS Sustainability initiatives
- Assist in monitoring the SmartCommute and BikeUMD email account and responding to inquiries.
Assist customers with registration for incentive programs.
Manage the intake and proper storage for bicycle donations and storage rentals.
Assist registered customers with bike lock cutting services.
- Maintain and analyze various data sets from the Smart Commute platform, BikeIndex, and other software. Assist with tracking key performance indicators.
Facilitate/arrange prize giveaways for rewards programs.
Event planning and staffing support for major engagement campaigns such as Orientation, Scoot Smart, Good Morning Commuter, Bike Safety Month, Bike Week, Earth Day, etc by drafting invitations, ordering catering, managing event attendee lists, staffing tabling events/bike rides, and other duties as assigned.
- Support and promote the department’s Green Office events and activities.
- Assist with tagging abandoned and improperly parked bicycles, e-scooters, and other micromobility vehicles and impounding them if necessary.
- Support with grant projects, research, and administrative tasks as assigned.
- Conduct fieldwork and data tracking for various inventories in our units including but not limited to supplies, campus bike racks, scooter hubs, electric vehicle charging stations etc.
- Enthusiastic sustainability and alternative transportation. Biking knowledge and experience is a plus.
- Strong research and data analysis skills.
- Organized and attentive to detail.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Comfortable working both collaboratively and independently.
- Excellent time management and organizational abilities.
- Able to lift 30 lbs.
- Posses Maryland or other U.S. driver’s license.
What you will gain
Experience in Transportation Demand Management (TDM) and Bicycle management and planning on a university campus
Transferable skills in data management, customer service, training, and program operations.
Opportunity to work with ArcMap 10/GIS technology to track bicycle facilities on campus. (No previous GIS experience is required)
Professional, respectful, and fun workplace environment.
Seeking an undergraduate or graduate student who is available for immediate start this Fall semester with the option to continue into the Spring semester.
Email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with a cc: to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled or at the latest the end of day, Friday, August 26. If you have any questions or concerns please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 301-314-9713.