JOIN OUR Sustainable transportation TEAM
The Sustainable Transportation Team within the Department of Transportation Services works to inform and encourage “Smart Commute” transportation options at the university. Reducing single-occupancy motor vehicle traffic, contributing to the university’s carbon reduction goals, and optimizing the university’s micromobility network are among our team’s priority objectives. This includes managing the expansive bicycle program, fostering a strong bike and micromobility culture, using data to measure levels of effectiveness, providing incentives for bicycle commuting, and overseeing bike parking and storage practices on campus.
- Program Support:
- Assist with tagging improperly parked bicycles, and with impounding improperly parked bicycles.
- Assist with planning and staffing support for bike related events requiring invitations, promotion, catering, attendee lists, tabling promotions, group rides, and group bike lessons.
- Facilitate/arrange prize giveaways for events/rewards programs.
- Customer Support:
- Monitor the BikeUMD email account and respond to inquiries.
- Assist students, faculty, and staff with registering their bikes and enrolling in the Bicycle Commuter Incentive Program.
- Assist with bicycle storage and Bicycle Recycle requests.
- Building Data Metrics:
- Work with the external data providers and others as necessary to harness available micromobility data into meaningful information.
- Work with the Bicycle Program Assistant, and the Acting Assistant Director for Sustainability to satisfy data metrics requirements especially in ArcGIS maps.
- Manage online repositories as necessary.
- Produce briefings and reports related to data visualization of the UMD micromobility network, with an emphasis on bicycles and scooters.
- Enthusiastic about sustainable transportation, using data to enhance sustainable transportation programs. Biking knowledge and experience is a plus.
- Organized and attentive to detail.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Comfortable working both collaboratively and independently.
- Excellent time management and organizational abilities.
- Ability to lift 30 lbs.
- Data analysis/visualization skills are highly desired. Esri Geospatial Cloud / ArcGIS experience, Excel / Google Sheets experience, knowledge of JSON, MDS, or a willingness to learn these standards would be a plus.
WHAT YOU WILL GAIN:
- Experience in Transportation Demand Management (TDM) and Bicycle management and planning on a university campus
- Transferable skills in data management, customer service, training, and program operations.
- Practical experience using ArcMap Collector/GIS Online technology to track and manage the campus micro-mobility network.
- Professional, respectful, and fun workplace environment.
Seeking an undergraduate or graduate student who is available to start no later than August 30, 2021, to work 10 hours per week (flexible scheduling) during the fall semester, with the option to extend through the Spring semester.
Submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org If you have any questions about the position contact Tom Worth, Bicycle Program Assistant, Department of Transportation Services, email email@example.com or call 301-314-9734.