JOIN OUR Sustainable transportation TEAM
The Student Bike Program Assistant is part of the Sustainability Team within the Department of Transportation Services. We work to promote safe biking and scooting conditions on campus. As a steward of BikeUMD, the team also works to promote and elevate the bicycle culture, program, and facilities of our Bicycle Friendly University. We oversee bike & e-scooter registration, how and where bicycles and e-scooters are parked on campus, we manage incentives and host events to encourage safe riding as a healthy and sustainable means of transportation. We track and update records daily to measure the success of the program. This position involves being outside on campus surveying and enforcing campus regulations for bike & e-scooter parking and registration, and impounding abandoned bikes & e-scooters. The Student Bike Program Assistant’s work week will be a mix of desk work and outdoor work.
$16.50/hr; 15-20 hours/week (Summer). Ideal candidate would continue into Fall; Part-time
- Tag/monitor abandoned and improperly parked bicycles & e-scooters, impounding them if necessary.
- Assist with managing campus bike & micromobility programming activities: including the Bicycle Commuter Incentive Program, the Rainy Day Parking Award program, Bicycle Registrations, and Bike Storage Requests, Safety events
- Conduct field surveys to monitor/update inventories on campus bike facilities and amenities such as bike racks, rooms, repair stations, signage, painted markings, etc.
- Assist with tabling events, group rides, and group bike lessons.
- Respond to email inquiries.
- Process information collected in Google Forms, and create Google Forms and Sheets.
- Process other data collected on bike usage on campus.
- Curious, willing to learn.
- Enthusiastic about sustainable transportation, especially bicycling.
- Physical stamina to walk portions of the campus for up to 1 hour per shift.
- Ability to lift 30 lbs.
- Knowledge of the Google suite, using Forms, Sheets, Documents, and Gmail.
- Knowledge of editing, or willing to learn how to edit, ArcGIS files for mapping bicycle infrastructure on campus.
- Excellent time management and organizational abilities.
- Possess a U.S. driver’s license
- Knowledge of Strava, a social network for bicyclists
- Current or aspirational cyclists, please apply!
WHAT YOU WILL GAIN:
- Experience in the field of Transportation Demand Management (TDM) with emphasis on bicycle management and planning on a university campus.
- Transferable skills in data management, customer service, advocacy, and program management.
- Practical experience using ArcMap Collector/GIS Online technology to track and manage the campus micro-mobility network.
- Experience in a professional, respectful, and fun workplace environment.
Seeking an undergraduate or graduate student with immediate availability, to work 15-20 hours per week during the Summer session, with an option to continue through the Fall semester
Email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with a cc: to email@example.com. Applications for the Summer session will be accepted until the position is filled or at the latest, Wednesday, May 31. If you have any questions or concerns please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 301-314-9713.